03 August 2009

Black Star Pastry: Cakes and Coffee, Newtown (1 August 2009)

277 Australia Street, Newtown NSW 2042
http://www.blackstarpastry.com.au


Beautiful Looking Cakes

I seem to keep hearing about this place and have finally made the time to check it out, especially since I've now realised the owner and pastry chef Christopher The used to work for Quay and Claudes. Today I'm visually drawn to the delicious looking Strawberry and Watermelon Cake and the artistic looking Elderflower Cheesecake. Very interesting having a cake with watermelon in it but it seems to work and I love the rose taste in it — I can see small rose petals on top but I'm assuming there's rose water used somewhere, I think in the cream. I find it a little awkward to eat with a spoon and should have opted for a fork. The strawberry crumble was good and would have loved to have this one with a spoonful of vanilla ice cream at home perhaps. I'm a bit disappointed with the Elderflower Cheesecake though and can't quite pick why, possibly it's the taste of jelly topping and I was expecting more of a vanilla taste from the cheesecake itself because I can see black vanilla seeds in it.

This popular cafe makes a very good coffee and the pyramid shaped meringues look very enticing for next time along with the Chocolate Caramel Tart. Here are some other reviews I found by SMH Good Living, The Delectable Delight, Pikelet & Pie, Beansprout's Cafe, The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things, The Unbearable Lightness of Being Hungry and Lemonpi.

Other visits to Black Star Pastry:
31 Oct 2009 - Chocolate and Caramel Tart
17 Oct 2009 - Strawberry Crumble, Canelli, Ginger Ninja, Lemon Meringue with Basil Jelly
1 Aug 2009 - Strawberry Watermelon and Rose Cream, Strawberry Crumble, Elderflower Cheesecake, Long Black, Cappuccino


Strawberry Watermelon and Rose Cream $6
SIMON FAVOURITE :-)

Large version of Strawberry Watermelon and Rose Cream

Strawberry Crumble $4.50

Elderflower Cheesecake $6

Meringue pyramids in display looking yummy!

Long Black $2.50 and Cappuccino $2.80 (take away prices)

BioCup — I guess it's better for the enviroment

Beverages menu

Service counter

Inside seating (if your lucky)




Down the road
Live music

Saturday markets


View Larger Map
Black Star Pastry on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

K said...

oooh that's the place with the ninja cookies isn't it? i've been intending to go there and now after seeing a pic of that strawberry and watermelon cake my 'intention' has increased hehehe

Leona @ Pigged-Out said...

Its been a while since i last went to newtown! Totally eyeing the beautiful cakes and loving the sound of Meringue pyramids. The cheesecake also looks to die for! Either im going blind (I dont have my glasses on) but i swear i could see spots of vanilla beans MMMMMM

Bean Sprout's Cafe said...

Yeah, only one thing I can blaim about this place is the seat inside.. Next time I will try the strawberry and watermelon cake.. :)

Trissa said...

Hi Simon
I've never tried this place - I didn't know they had canneles too...have you tried?

Trissa

Simon Leong said...

Hi K, i believe it is the place for ninja cookies, i saw them displayed at the counter.

Hi Leona, next time i'm definitely trying one of the Meringue pyramids. definitely looks like vanilla bean seeds to me too.

Hi Bean Sprout's Cafe, seating is really limited but I managed to luckily grab a spot just when someone was leaving.

Hi Trissa, I have yet to try the canneles. I've actually never tried them before.

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map